Do you need a cosmetic dentist to enhance your smile? Are you looking for a family dentist to take care of you and your loved ones? There are many reasons to search for the best dentist. We’re going to quickly review the top 10 reasons to seek out a Knoxville dentist.
- Ouch, you’ve got a tooth that hurts!
- Pain, swelling, fever, difficulty swallowing and labored breathing are all signs of a potentially dangerous infection. Your head is the command center of the body and you don’t want an oral problem spreading to other important structures in your body. Even minor tooth pain can be a sign that a potentially dangerous infection is on the horizon. Your dentist can evaluate the pain and determine the best course of action to treat the signs and symptoms.
- Your gums are acting up
- Inflammation of your gums may indicate active gum disease such as gingivitis or periodontitis. If you have inflamed gums then you may notice bleeding when you floss or brush. A quick trip to the dental office will allow your gums to be evaluated for gum disease.
- Protect your investment
- If you’ve had fillings, crowns, implants or dentures then you have probably made a significant investment in your oral health. You should see your dentist regularly to make sure everything is in great shape.
- You find yourself hiding your smile
- Many people are self-conscious about a missing tooth or hate their yellow teeth. Don’t be shy about talking to your dentist. There are many options for improving the look of your smile, options that were not around the last time you may have seen the dentist. You do not have to walk around Knoxville feeling embarrassed about your smile. Remember, the nicest thing you can wear is a smile!
- Medical conditions that require monitoring
- Make your dentist part of your team if you have a medical condition such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, eating disorders or are HIV positive. If you are undergoing medical treatment such as radiation, chemotherapy or hormone replacement therapy it is a good idea to have a dentist assist in managing any associated oral complications.
- Baby on the way
- Some women experience health problems during pregnancy. These complications can involve the mother’s health, the fetus, or both. Some common complications include high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, preeclampsia and preterm labor. You may not know that women are more likely to develop gum disease while pregnant. Many studies have shown that women with active gum disease are at risk for pre-term and low birth weight babies. It’s safe to go to the dentist while pregnant. In fact, pregnancy can make some dental problems worse, so don’t miss your regular checkup.
- Your mouth feels like the Sahara desert
- Always feeling parched could be the sign of a medical issue or a medication side effect. When your mouth is dry the risk of developing cavities increases. A dentist can evaluate your dry mouth and recommend treatment to help manage your symptoms.
- Joe Camel and the Marlboro Man are your friends
- From bad breath to oral cancer, cigarettes and chewing tobacco are harmful to your health. Regular oral cancer screenings are important for everyone, especially for tobacco users.
- TMJ pain
- Make an appointment if your jaw sometimes pops or is painful when opening and closing, chewing or when you first wake up. Your bite may be uneven and need a quick adjustment to get everything back into alignment. Nightguards made by your dentist are a great way to protect your teeth from heavy grinding pressures.
There you have it, 10 reasons to find a dentist in Knoxville. Even if you don’t have any problems, checkups are important because they can help prevent problems from developing and treat existing symptoms before they become more advanced. Remember, pain is usually a sign of advanced tooth problems. See your dentist regularly to be evaluated. He/she will be able to spot any problems BEFORE the pain starts and keep the pain away, because no one like a toothache.